Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fucking Nurses

I usually save my rants for the physicians and the occasional police, corrections guards or medics. This morning I'm frustrated with nursing. I'm mad that being smart and doing the right thing doesn't get rewarded. I'm frustrated that when we have joint staff meetings with the physicians that there are dumbasses that are allowed to talk and make us all look incompetent and shallow. These people are the reasons that I have to scratch and claw to get taken seriously. We are discussing how new renovations to the department are going to change how and where we see patients. Due to some fucking dumb nurses it became a discussion of how retarded department of corrections officers are.

One of the worst is a day shift RN who (after 15 years in the department) STILL doesn't know how to start, maintain and titrate an insulin drip. I have written her up twice in the last 2 months. Nada. But people like me who bust their ass to remain certified and competent above and beyond what is required get second guessed because of her stupidity.

For example: I took a lady with a past history of CVA and a recent fall to CT for a head scan. She currently takes coumadin, so the index of suspicion for a traumatic bleed was a little higher. She got scanned and there was no blood, just the old area of infarct. I brought her back and told the resident that she didn't have any acute findings on her scan. His response.......

how do you know? It hasn't been dictated yet.

I worked in neuro ICU fucktard. You wanna argue this with me? (I actually said... I worked in neuro ICU, I can read my own head scans, thanks)

The medic told me that he can tell when I'm having a good night versus a bad night based on how much I bitch. If its the patients then its usually not a terrible night. If its the staff then it doesn't matter how good the patients are, the night still sucks. My night last night wasn't bad. I worked with good people and the patients weren't too bad either. Our nurse manager picked up a night coordinator shift which (at first) was a little intimidating, but as the night wore on she actually did a pretty damn good job. She made a point of touching base with everyone to see how they were doing and if there was anything she could do to help. There was no micromanaging... just support. I was surprised. I did however have to hide as I chowed down on oreos at 3am. Hey, sometimes you just need a little milk and cookie pick-me-up!

Some days I wonder what they would all say if I made this blog known. How much of a shit storm would erupt? Well, if something ever happens to me I certainly hope that somebody will print this out and drop it in the schedule book...

Here's what was hiding behind the evil smile!!!
Love,
that short nurse.

and now back to regularly scheduled programming!

3 Comments:

Blogger battynurse said...

Stupidity really should be painful. For everyone. Some though would likely be in constant pain.
It's always surprising to me how unsupportive of one another nurses can be.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Cartoon said...

I will agree with u. Doesn't matter...if the nurses u work with are crap...it's a shitty nite all the way 'round. And WTFlip is wrong with eating oreos at 3 am?? Honestly. Some of the rules they have......

2:42 AM  
Blogger Dick Lame said...

I think of the big scary thing: that people I work with might find my own blog. Yeah, HIPAA HIPAA HIPAA and no name dropping and all that, but still... An insider would know what I'm talking about. I feel your pain, nurse. (Actually probably not as acutely as I could: I've only been doing this for what, three MONTHS now??)

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home