Thursday, June 19, 2008

The C Word

There is a word I don't use. Most women find it offensive (as do I). On the extremely rare instance that the thought even crosses my mind it has to be a pretty extreme situation. So yesterday I flew with a new flight medic that was in the same academy as I was. He seemed nice enough, but as we learned, is married to a really psychotic girl. For example, if he doesn't answer his phone then she will start calling our communications until she hears from him. I made the mistake of emailing him on his birthday to say....(what else) Happy Birthday. I received an email from him about my "unprofessional" email (birthdays aren't professional I guess) 2 emails from his psycho wife and 2 voice messages from the psycho wife. Obviously he thought giving her my info was a good idea. This was back in December, so imagine my joy after waking at 3, driving for 2 hours and showing up to the busy base and he is covering the day shift. Ugh.....


I remained professional, but didn't say much. He proceeded to describe what a great time he was having at his base, all of the great flights that he has done etc etc. I really don't give two shits what his experience is..... you are married to the C word and are lucky that I didn't kick your ass (or let the cop do so) when you gave her my contact info. Sometimes I just want to get on FredricksofHollywood.com or a sex toy web site and send him catalogs. I think that would truly send her over the edge! (but I'm too nice for that!)

We did 3 flights together. All in all, I was not impressed. Maybe I'm a little more of a Type B personality, but I don't have to be "in charge" all the time and I would really rather look at the big picture rather than micro-manage. Whoooo-Saaaaa!!!

We flew a AAA that was hypertensive and had that "I'm about the rupture and die" look. There was an 18 month old in respiratory distress. This kid was looking shitty too....like he was starting to get tired and might buy a tube. In some cases, when the mom is a calming influence I will let them fly too. This mom admitted up front that she is scared of planes (much less a damn helicopter), but supermedic decided to bring her along. She spent the flight with her head in her hands, rocking back and forth. I had to keep the oxygen mask on jr. and wake him up when he started to drop his oxygen saturations as well as keep mom from having a full blown panic attack. Yeah, this didn't impress me. Our last flight I was to be "in charge." A man was working in a granite factory (they make those granite counters) and was crushed by a 1,000lb slab. He was awake and had been extricated when we got to him. Surprisingly, he was doing pretty well. Unfortunately, WonderMedic got to the ambulance first and decided he was going to run the show. The back of the ambulance is not the place for a pissing contest, so (type B me) rolled with it. He apologized later.... but I got the last laugh. You have to do the chart Buddy!! Haha!!!!!

The final 2 patients of the night were both with the night medic who has been a rock star to work with. He is very patient and has accepted my learning curve as both a new flight nurse and a new person to this base. We did 2 intubated head bleeds on multiple drips. Very much down my alley after the time in NeuroICU. One poor woman had been down for God knows how long, had vomited, aspirated and had an MI (in addition to her head bleed) all prior to her family getting home and finding her. She was on Neosynepherine, Dopamine and Levophed and still had pressures in the shitter. (for you non-medical folks out there.... thats BAD despite the Tiger Woods, Shaq and Lance Armstrong of all "get your bp up meds")

The receiving nurse was unthrilled with the whole situation and went off on us, though we are still not sure why. She kept using "this patient." How and I supposed to take care of "this patient" without a vent in the room? (well, she is on ours right now!) Do you even know where "this patient's" family is for consent? (yeah lady, all 20 of them are in your waiting room) Why is "this patient" on all these pressors? (cuz her pressure sucks) Why is "this patient" seatbelted so tight? (WE FLY IN THE AIR LADY!!! WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!?!)

Ok, so I dropped the C word in the elevator on the way out. The medic nearly peed himself and the tech gave me a high five.

I still hate that word.

5 Comments:

Blogger Paradise Driver said...

But there are times when no other word will fit the situation/person better. Using it to their face is even more deeply satisfying.

8:10 PM  
Blogger edie & ella said...

ER nurses are often C words in my opinion....... NOT ALL but MANY !!!
Can't remember where I found your blog -- NCLM or another blogger -- I read so many.... Anyway I love your descriptions of your job. Sam

10:02 PM  
Blogger MOJITOGIRL said...

I still say you should invest a little money in the neon vibrator, send it to your favorite flight crew member, with a gift card that reads, "For our next rendezvous in the skies, love, INGA."

Then sit back and SMILE.....

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a medic for a while and a new RN, I have been known to have "some fun" with my co-workers. If the neon vibrator, as recommended by mojitogirl, does not work to send the partner's wife over the edge. Try the the panties over the passenger seat sun visor in his car. That's usually a good time. As for the "C word," when I use it I spell it with a "K" so I'm not usually too offensive. - MedictoRN

8:06 AM  
Blogger GingerJar said...

I also hate the "C" word...and I don't mean "Cat", but some women just seem to earn it!!!! I work PCCU/ICU and I love floating to ER...but I could never do your job...I tear the seat arms off on airplanes! LOL.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home