Saturday, October 18, 2008

ATLS

This weekend was ATLS. (Advanced Trauma Life Support) I got in through the helicopter and wasn't about to give it up because I'm not flying full time. Most nurses take the ATCN (Advanced Trauma Course for Nurses) its the middle school version of advanced trauma care. I took it about 4 years ago. To get into the ATLS class you have to be cleared through the American College of Surgeons and even then you just get to audit it. It is strictly a MD class. I learned a LOT..... and the great part was that it was taught by surgery docs (attendings and residents) that I know well and have a lot of respect for. There's something about being taught chest tubes, DPL's, pericardio's and cric's by a trauma surgery attending that I truly look up to (and even better that she knows me by name!).

What was scary was the of the MDs that have to either take or re-cert.... some are surgeons (trauma, vascular, general), some are emergency medicine and some have to take it as a part of being a medical director for rescue squads. There was a family practice doc who is from way out in the boonies who had to take the class. He was in my skills group.... scary!!! Poor guy is so far removed from this environment that the primary assessment, ABCDE was lost on him.

Otherwise I have been working like a slave.. this is 7 in a row. I have not heard back from Cardiac Surgery ICU yet, but the Surgery Trauma ICU is more than willing to let me do overtime there, especially after getting a 90 on the ATLS final.

The ER has been crazy as usual. Lurch is back around, making me crazy as usual. Every time we get a sick patient he walks in and takes over. Not sure what the best response other than "get the fuck out" is, but I'm getting close. He has been given the clinical coordinator position in neuroICU so you can bet your ass I won't be going back there! I am still trying to find a full time flight job, but no real availabilities right now. Its hard to hear an inbound aircraft and not get a little sad.

This is one of my favorite quotes... I think it sums up my thoughts on flying.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. - Henry Van Dyke

2 Comments:

Blogger MOJITOGIRL said...

Regarding the contract positions, this year you're out of luck. The ED is without a manager (again!) and they've loaded up the department with new hires, to the point that they've got no overtime or even time slots for the prn squad to pencil in. I happened to pick up these two shifts because I knew that the people who were STUCK working wanted to go to FantasyFest.

On the other hand if you have PACU experience, they are DESPERATE. They just flew down another nurse from a sister hospital for 2 weeks to pinch hit...paid flight and hotel stay. And the next month they're really going to be desperate because they're down to 2 people in the department. I fill in once a week, and they beg, borrow and steal people, but they are SHORT.

If you're interested in that, let me know, I'll put you in contact with the person to talk to directly. It's a low key department-no Neuro, no vents, no joint replacements, just bellies, eyeballs, GYN, OP ortho and pacers. Or ICU--my friend Leah was just named nurse manager of the place and they are perenially short too.

It could be dangerous to spend time in Paradise...you check in and you don't check out!

9:47 AM  
Blogger GingerJar said...

Sorry you haven't gotten any flights. Heard about the flight that crashed near Chicago...was glad you weren't on it (male flight nurse, baby pt. and crew all lost). We actually lost a flight crew and nurse this summer in our area at Padre Island, they were trying to pick up an emergency in a storm, and they wound up in the ocean (the wind can be brutal!) I guess that's why you'll never see me in a chopper. I love the up up and away...it's the coming down I fear...and I fear it psychotically!

I have started working ICU, it's more excitement than your other area's (except ER which is perpetually interesting...last time I worked it we had some drunk guy come in that had cut his throat falling through a glass table). Hope all works out.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home