Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Sad Day

Friends... I am sorry to say that effective Monday both my base and the next closest were shut down. We were given no notice and very few options. I am staying on a strict part time basis, which means no benefits and I will fly 1) when a shift is open 2) if I can sign up for it before the other 4 or 5 peeps in my same position. Its been a dark dark week.

I have been in touch with my nurse manager in neuro (even though I REALLY REALLY don't wanna go back there) and the manager in the ER. Both said they would hire me back. I also applied for an open flight nurse job at our competitor, but there are other out of work flight nurses doing the same, so we will see what happens.

I have never actually been laid off before. I got fired from a job at a hot dog place in college. You are apparently NOT supposed to tell the customers that everything was fried in LARD! (hehe) I've taken it pretty hard, obviously and it hasn't helped that I have to come up to the library to blog, research and try to figure out what to do next! I will try to continue to keep posting as things progress..... the ER has been kind enough to throw every shift they have at me, so while I won't be making what I did at least I'll have an income.

I have faith that I will get through this.... in the meantime I'll put on some Buffett, drink a little Marker's Mark and remember what a kick ass job I had!

6 Comments:

Blogger MOJITOGIRL said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your layoff. Another victim of the economic cesspool we find ourselves swimming in. While I know you believe it to be your dream job, TRUST ME.....when God closes a door, he opens a window somewhere (and I'm not even particularly religious.....just karmatic).

You have to believe that fate has bigger and better things in store for you. Don't despair and don't be impatient (and if you HATE Neuro, don't go back there!)

I'll keep you in my thoughts and light a candle for you (or sacrifice a chicken or something.......!)

6:04 PM  
Blogger BirthdayNurse said...

Man, that's not good news! I am so sorry! We're dealing with layoff's in my house right now too, so my heart goes out to you! I have faith that an even better opportunity will be coming your way...hopefully very, very soon! Best of luck in the upcoming days, weeks, etc!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Paradise Driver said...

Strange. With the MSP crash last week and subsequent grounding of their birds, it would seem as if your company had a golden opportunity laid at their doorstep.

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck with your search. I do hope you don't have to suck-it-up and work someplace you'd rather not.

11:32 AM  
Blogger GingerJar said...

Hope you find another job you like as well as the other...flying. In the meantime...I would do tele or ICU. I absolutely hate neuro!!! Hate hate hate hate neuro!

2:11 PM  
Blogger battynurse said...

OMG. I'm so sorry. That really sucks. I hope that a full time job comes up soon and that at some point you get to go back to being a flight nurse.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home