Friday, September 08, 2006

Home Sweet Home

Was back in the ER last night!!! Doing overtime down there is much easier than the unit since 1) I'm on orientation and 2) their staff is so great that they don't have holes. So I waltzed in to a full trauma room and patients swinging from the ceilings. Ahhhh.... some things never change.

I spent most of my time catching up with folks that I haven't seen in a while. The consensus is that they miss me and really want me to come back. I miss them too. Try as I may, I doubt that neuro will ever feel like home to me.

Had one whole trauma all night (at least til 650 this morning). This kid was sitting on the sidewalk talking to a girl at 1am. Some guy cam up, robbed him, took his car keys and shot him in the back. Then he stole the car. Kid was 22 years old and is now paralyzed from the upper chest down. Bullet fragment went into the spinal cord. Ironically, he is now in my ICU. I hope I get to take care of him tomorrow night. That would be cool as shit. He and I got along pretty well also and he had a nice family. God that just sucks. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The cop was unable to join us at a birthday breakfast this morning (the medic's 31st) The cop is at present, getting ready to kick in a door and do a search warrant. I know he loves that stuff, but it scares the hell outta me.

To all of you who have offered such great words of encouragement about my transition to the ICU I must say thank you very much. Your thoughts mean a lot to me, and I will continue to hang in there. Oh, and Izzy.... the typical urine output for a healthy person is about 30ml an hour. Drunks or sick folks can squirt out almost a liter. And there ladies and gentlemen is your thought for the day!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really admire all of you who work in emerg and icu. I know that the adrenaline probably keeps you going, especially in the ER. But to balance a emotionally packed physical job... take special people.

P.S. Wow! That's a lot of urine dumps...Eww

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home