Monday, October 15, 2007

The Thin Blue Line


The Thin Blue Line is a little thinner today. The cop's friend was taken off of life support last Tuesday evening and died on 10/11/07.
I cannot help but think that his wife is one of the bravest people I have met. She knew from the start that he didn't want to live like that. When the time came, she was able to respect his wishes (despite pressure from his family) and let him go. I had to work the night they withdrew care, but didn't know until I was pulling in to park. I was a wreck, couldn't be there and watch (even on the monitor) him die. The cop came, picked me up in the unmarked detective car and took me home. It was a rough night.
I am not going to the funeral... I know that I just can't do it. Not to mention I would have to sit with the wives, as the officers all sit together. So we will remember him in our own way, I'm sure. A breakfast toast of Jack Daniel's one morning sounds about right.
Unfortunately, another officer was killed in a motorcycle crash in South Carolina yesterday. I didn't know him (neither did the cop) but he did look familiar.
Kind of at a loss here. Had a busy night in the ICU, but no real energy to talk about it. 24 more hours of work and then am off for over a week. Vegas is looking better and better.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nurse Stella said...

So sorry about your friend. We've lost a few good cops this year in NH. Enjoy Vegas, and of course, Buffett!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home