Saturday, June 20, 2009

I need another vacay!

So vacation was wonderful. Very relaxing. Never long enough.

The first week back to work was busy as hell. Non-stop insane patients. I had the trauma room Friday night. From 7p-0200 there were 5 traumas. Most with emotional issues that made them think it was ok to whine, yell, curse and essentially act like assholes. I didn't kill any of them, but the thought crossed my mind.

At 0200 the floodgates opened. The next 5 hours there were 14 traumas. 14! The grand total for the night was 19. The room was full and the light just kept blinking. Accident after accident... nobody could drive for shit. In the midst we were told that the helicopter was outbound to an accident.... when the pilot showed up without the crew we knew it was gonna be bad. Trauma codes don't get flown..... that's the standard. So the crew came by ground with a guy riding a moped that was struck by a car. The passenger on the moped was killed and this guy had coded twice prior to arriving in the trauma bay. When a patient's foot is facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction and his whole body from the pelvis down is jello and that is the least of his problems.... you know you're fucked!

The light was still blinking when I left. I was happy to get outta dodge. I was going to dinner with one of the er residents. We desperately needed a girls night out after the beat down in the trauma room. Work called a couple of times while we were at dinner. I ignored it.... work cannot interfere with girls night, ya know?

I also got a call from one of the nurses... that is when I checked my voicemail. They didn't want me to work... the cop had been in a motorcycle accident and was a trauma patient! SO I trotted my high hells to the ER just in time to watch ortho inject his knee joint. He was admitted with road rash, torn ligaments and a degloving injury to the knee. I stayed the whole week, through 2 surgeries and finally got home yesterday. I will update on the crazy floor crap I saw later. Its just a lot of LONG stories.

Back to work tonight.... Will cont to update the blog and cover all the last week's insanity!

3 Comments:

Blogger battynurse said...

Wow, that sounds insanely busy. Hope the cop is doing much better now.

6:59 PM  
Blogger BubbleGirl said...

Give the Cop a "Get well soon" from me.

Hope this week is a little less crazy.

1:02 PM  
Blogger MOJITOGIRL said...

I hope he's doing Ok. Hope you're doing OK!

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home