Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Para-God?


As if having all those initials behind my name wasn't enough, I have found the next bridge to jump off of. I did EMS in nursing school, but stopped because I could do more as a nurse in the hospital. The closure of my base made me realize that had I been a dual provider I may have had more options. So in the name of getting back in the air I have signed up for my area's first RN-Paramedic bridge program. Unfortunately I have already undergone some hazing from my nursing colleagues.... who seem to believe that this is a step down instead of a chance to broaden my experiences. One even said that I may as well take the RN-Housekeeper bridge (that really pissed me off!).



I also need to get on my CEN and CCRN recerts. Has it been that long already? I sure as shit don't want to take CCRN again.


Note on my last post. The lady who was too fat for the rib spreaders died. (no huge surprise there) I am still trying to figure out what her major injuries were. We also had another child that was struck by a lawn mower that her grandfather was driving. She lost an arm.... she was about 5. I am SO tired of this.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Jeepgirl-
This is your life and you don't need anyone's permission. This is going to add to your knowledge base, making you a better ER Nurse. Regarding the nurse who said "RN-to-housekeeper", she probably isn't worth the energy it would take to get pissed off at her.
When I started Nursing School a million years ago, I had EMT under my belt, and because of that knowledge when a trauma emergency came in I was right in the middle of it and loving every single minute. The nurses without the additional training and only the "First-Aid" training through Nursing school stood there not knowing what to do.
Sooo, grab that bull by the horns and ride!!!!!

3:51 PM  
Blogger battynurse said...

Good luck with the RN-Paramedic thing. It sounds fascinating. It never ceases to amaze me how unsuportive so many nurses are to other nurses.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by the dual-educated idea myself.

Wondering what options you think being an RN/Medic would open up, other than the flight world?

9:51 PM  
Blogger doulos1129 said...

hey, i'm a medin about 3 months from graduation. I'm finishing up acute care (Wichita like yourself, is the only class I've had any interest in) it is ok. I'm learning and I have had some semi-decent clinicals, but I still don't feel as prepared as I want to. I do have a preceptorship at a level 2 trauma center. I am wondering if you can point me in the direction of good literature to better prepare myself for a career as an ER nurse? Thanks for any help. My email is doulos1129@gmail.com thank you

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home