Monday, August 10, 2009

Painful

The last two nights have been painful... physically and mentally. I get home, kick off the danskos and wait for the feeling to return to my feet.

Saturday night... the trauma room was empty when I got there. I walked in, threw on my shoe covers and the trauma light went off. Go fuckin figure.... 12 traumas later I staggered...almost literally... the hell out. I was also livid that the.... bitch (I almost used the really bad word) that was coming in wanted me to stay late and stock the room with her.

*** drunk parents driving home from the beach with 2 children in the back. the parents get into a physical fight and drive off the road into a tree. no dui charge, but we called cps

***i got threatened with an assault charge by a drunk bastard. I wouldn't let him sit up and leave. the trooper got him settled down.

***GSW to the head.... .22 we think. dude was, of course, minding his own business

***24 year old dove into the shallow end. C4 fracture with nothing below the nipple line. he vomited and aspirated in MRI. intubated yesterday. nice kid, nice family. very very sad.

Sunday

I tiptoed into the trauma room and the light started going off. the first 2 hours were hell on wheels. I told the communications room that all 3 of their traumas were not coming in the room because there was only 1 bed. That stupid fuck actually wanted me to check with the attending first. Sure, because if he said so I would LOVE to put all 3 in 1 bed!

*** 20 year old mvc with a fracture/dislocation of the hip. we did conscious sedation to pull that thing into place. I was pulling from the shoulders up while 2 guys held the hips, 2 pulled on the leg and the attending gave propofol. 20 minutes later my arms were screaming for a break and the hip still wasn't in. 150% of my weight pulling against these dudes... 300mg of propofol and we were still fighting.

***I also had to help restrain a dude who was either post-ictal or high as fuck. He broke the regular restraints and go put in the "big boy" restraints.

Finally.... the drama. Of course there is drama, its a hospital. Lately it has seemed a bit more like General Hospital versus Trauma: Life in the ER. There are some things that I wish I didn't have to hear about..... and there are times when I want to scream "NO DON'T DO IT!!!" Grrrr..... Sorry the last part is so vague... just need to vent a touch!

1 Comments:

Blogger battynurse said...

Sounds ugly. Hope you have a couple of days off soon.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home