Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Perspective!

Can you believe I took this picture? After a shit night at work (more later), driving all night eating Twizzlers and then randomly finding this deserted beach at sunrise. I don't even think the picture does it justice.

So my little beach break was exactly what I needed. I learned that I really don't vacation like other people. I didn't need to get shit faced drunk and pass out on the beach. I read 2 books (not medical at all!), got some serious sun, ate a little, slept just ok and woke up at 0630 every morning. Got my walk on through the little fishing village, found the locals coffee hangout and even met a bloodhound named Ellie Mae.

My last night of work consisted of a young bride on her way home from her honeymoon with her husband, his brother, the brother's wife and the brother's dog (a boxer). When the husband fell asleep they decided to scare him to wake him up. Unfortunately he wasn't the only one they scared. The dog woke up and chomped down on the girl's face. The brother in law actually had to pry the dog's jaws off of her and got bitten in the process.

I hate dog bites.... there never seems to be anything good about them. (unless its the police dog... then its funny as shit!) If its a pet then its even sadder. In this case the husband was also a police officer (not local) and the sister in law was pregnant. What a freaking disaster.

My perspective on it though.... (this took some time on the beach) They are able to get the "for better or worse" part put to the test pretty early on. If they can find the strength of family through this then they should be able to hang on through other tough times.

As for the old couple a week or so ago.... my thoughts are now... how many people lose a loved one and don't get the opportunity to say good-bye? How many people don't get 60-some years together. Yes, he should have died in his sleep in his own bed, but seriously, how many people are lucky enough to have that?

So pondering the next big move. I promised my nurse manager long ago that I would not permanently leave...but trying to decide what the next step should be. Where do I want to go and what will get me there? Am thinking of looking into the PICU actually. Hmmmm.....

So back to my dear sweet Mecca tonight. Gonna try to remain me and not the old battle ax. I do start paramedic class in about a month too.... that should be... interesting!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger GingerJar said...

Love the photo. Sometimes we need to destress...debrief...and just chill out to get new perspective in our lives. Me, any beach ... anytime...and I'm happy.

10:44 AM  
Blogger battynurse said...

Gorgeous beach photo.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay PICU! trauma, neuro, cardiac, sepsis.... a little bit of everything in cute, heart-wrenching packages with some crazy families* attached.

good luck :)

*by "family," i mean baby daddy, baby momma, 2nd cousin, 1st cousin, the illiterate, and any combination of the above.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home