Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Arrruuuggghhhh

The screamer nurse has struck again! I was a princess tonight. Nothing I can't handle for 4 hours, right? The first person I saw was my new boyfriend. In his 60's, history of schizophrenia, was assaulted in his group home. He was sitting next to the triage desk (too crazy for the waiting room, not sick enough for the back) singing to everyone who passed. The fun part? He had a decent voice and was doing the best of the 70's. I was trying to get settled as he sang "Get Down Tonight.." Hard to not smile and dance along with the song. He took requests too. "Jungle Boogie" was my favorite. The communications room called asking what his 1-800 number was so they could vote for him!

Welcome to the College of Knowledge, where we save even the biggest shitball with the most ancient of equipment. The screamer computer has been on its last leg for months. I can hardly get people into the computer as is. Throw multiple patients including a couple of chest painers and it becomes impossible. Some chick came in (no joke) complaining that she got shampoo in her eye. Seriously? Waiting room please. 15 year old unresponsive via squad after drinking a whole bottle of Absolut Vodka..... mom didn't show up for almost 2 hours. 

In the midst of all this fun I get a call from a city police officer. He was out with a dead guy who had a medical history (don't they all). He wanted me to give him some info for the death certificate. Ummm.... negative ghost rider, call the ME for this one. Home-dude got a little attitude when I said no. I got another police call looking for a guy who matched a description they gave me. Up until now nobody has matched up. Tonight, of course, they hit paydirt. Their suspect was in yellow.... I had screened him and knew exactly what he was wearing. Weird. When it hit 11 I turned into a pumpkin.... didn't stick around to see if they caught him or not. 

4 Comments:

Blogger A Nurse's Curses said...

I love the entertaining crazies, at least they make the nights go by faster.

11:48 AM  
Blogger battynurse said...

So do dumbasses like the shampoo lady end up sitting in the waiting room for 10 hours? I hope so. I swear, some of the things people go to the hospital for is amazing.

2:20 AM  
Blogger The Future Missy Prissy RN said...

Hilarious!! Hopefully they got their man!!

9:52 AM  
Blogger L said...

Love your blog Jeepgirl. I'm a RN too. A ward RN, LOL! Though I've worked down in ED we call it here in OZ when I was in pool. Never a dull moment thats for sure, and very busy!!! I much prefer ward nursing I must say but take my hat off to you guys! Liana.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home