Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Court

I got to go to General District Court today for a legal blood draw this morning. On my day off, at 930 in the morning. Talk about some bullshit. I was up and getting ready when I realized.... it doesn't make a shits bit of difference what I wear, people show up in their pajamas and slippers. So I threw on some clothes and carried my ass in. I have learned not to bring a damn thing in with me. Seriously, nothing. The exception is a sweatshirt (with hospital logo) in case I get cold.

I am always amazed at what I see in the courthouse. The shit people show up in is amazing. Have you ever seen www.peopleofwalmart.com? This could be its own site. Www.peopleofgdc.com. If only I could take pictures. I saw a big lady in all black skin tight clothes and stiletto pumps, people in dirty work clothes, kids in suits with their lawyers (usually the suits are brand new or don't fit), house coats, slippers, flip flops, sweats... you name it. Curlers in the hair, hair half braided. Its a circus. I looked (per the girls at work) like a walking Gap ad. No wonder people kept staring!

I have learned... get there early, don't bring anything, keep head down, avoid eye contact and I ALWAYS sit right behind the cops. Nobody wants to sit there, so there are always extra seats! So I walk up when my chick gets called. She promptly asks for a continuance and the public defender wants to know what the tech is available to come back. Ummmm.... I looked around, no techs here ma'am. This RN will come back when you need her. Hell, it IS overtime. Now I have 3 pending cases. 2 dui blood draws and a blood draw from a fatality MVC.

If I plan my wardrobe out maybe I will wear some pj's and my penguin slippers....

2 Comments:

Blogger battynurse said...

I got called to court once when I was a phlebotomist. I totally didn't remember the patient although he looked a bit familiar in the court room. Down side was it was a 2 hour drive to another county. Oh well, I got paid for all of it. It was an interesting experience although that really small town court house didn't have very many people in it.

1:19 AM  
Anonymous chloe said...

I just wanted to tell you that I am a big fan of your blog! I randomly found you from another nurse blog and I'm currently a pre-PA student. I volunteer in the ER at a level 3 trauma hospital, so these stories of yours are crazy-whacky compared to anything I've witnessed. Your honest, angry blog has somehow inspired my interest in emergency medicine, thanks for writing!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home