Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Washington

I have said many times, I'm in VA. We have Williamsburg and Jamestown to the southeast, and Washington DC to the north. Its a very historic state. I am (thankfully) off today. I have lots of friends who live in DC and I must say.... I don't envy them. They are talking about the Metro having over an hour and a half wait. The bridges into DC were closed at 3am this morning. I'm glad that I don't have to fly up there today either!!!

Being as close as I am, I wonder, should I be there? Should I be witnessing history in person? Ummm.... I'm there in spirit, but I have no desire to be around THAT many people. I don't even like the malls at Christmas, so THE Mall today??? I don't think so. The cop and I walked from the Washington Monument all the way across the mall to the Capitol building. Thats HUGE. I have sat on the steps of the Capitol, Lincoln Memorial and walked the halls of ALL of the Smithsonian Museums. I still get goosebumps at the Vietnam War Memorial, and the National Law Enforcement Memorial brought me to tears. I stayed in a riverfront suite in The Watergate Hotel and stood in front of the White House and watched foreign tourists get sprayed with the sprinklers!!! We have been so fortunate to live close enough to visit very frequently. As a child, I don't think I appreciated it. To my friends all over the country and the world.... if you get a chance to go to DC... GO! It is an amazing place. (Just don't plan on getting in today!)

I think I'll just watch on TV!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home