Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve, Baby

I could very easily change the name of this post to

Christmas Eve Baby



I mentioned a while ago, never, never get complacent in the ED. You never know whats around the next sliding door. I was having a VERY chill night in triage. Music on, feet up, working with two of my favorite nurses. What can I say? I was a great, albeit boring, night. When I saw the stretcher going towards the driveway I figured it was just another Meemaw that wouldn't get out of the car. Gloves on, I walked out to help. From the back of a 4-door I heard one of the nurses voices say.... "I think thats a head."

FUCK

I slipped in (having done this before) and surprise surprise it was, in fact, a head. Mom wanted to push, there was no nuchal cord, so push (and pull for me) she did. 10 fingers, 10 toes little girl with lots o black hair. She cried immediately and her 1 minute APGAR was 8. Poor little munchkin was probably freezing.... it was 20 degrees out! Once weighed she was 7lbs 12 oz. Mom had a scary hypotensive moment that required pitocin and some fluid boluses but rebounded well. The nurses suggested that mom name her after me. I highly doubt that there is gonna be a black baby in the projects with an Irish name!


One of the girls in triage decided to make some new nametags for the stork crew. After all the sadness with the loss of our collegue this made us all smile. Happy Birthday baby!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Hayley said...

Awww congrats! A little bit of xmas cheer :) xx

3:58 PM  
Blogger battynurse said...

Wow. Congrats. That had to be cool.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Paradise Driver said...

What a great Christmas present - for everybody.

10:34 PM  
Blogger GingerJar said...

How cool, glad all was well with the little one. As a nurse, I've never done that, have attended lots of births when I was working Neonatal ICU, but never on the catching end. Good job.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home