Friday, January 23, 2009

The Know-It-All

More proof that just because you have the title Dr before your name or MD after, you don't know EVERYTHING (much to the resident's dismay!)

I had an ER resident argue with me about a little old lady with a head bleed. I did a neuro exam on her.... prior to consenting and doing the checklist for an MRI. I told the resd that she was expressively aphagic and that I was going to contact her husband to help with the MRI checklist. The resident said "oh, she's just a little confused" and wanted me to go ahead with the checklist.

To quote one of my favorite TV characters..... "HOMIE DON'T PLAY DAT!"

I may have spent a year in neuro hell.... but I KNOW my neuro patients and my exam findings. I don't want to take crap from a 3rd year resident who would probably kill the patient if left to her own devices.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the patient was just hungry. Aphagia will do that to you.
I'm kidding! Love your blog.

12:58 PM  
Blogger GingerJar said...

Like they think the hubby won't know the wife's history???? Love your blog too, hope you get a little air-time soon, I know that's your first nursing-love.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing what happens when folks let a little bit of knowledge and a title go to their head. As with residents there are a number experienced nurses who do the same thing.

I have to admit I do take pleasure watching them when they realize they are wrong. A humbling experience for sure.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home