Sunday, September 17, 2006

Karma

Friday night I was off and the cop was working. We made arrangements for me to do a ride along in his precinct that night. I didn't ride with him (we thought it would be a safety issue) but with a girl that he graduated the academy with. I've hung out with this girl several times and she is NUTS!!! We did some traffic stops (god people are stupid) and did a couple of other calls.. nothing big, but we had a good time.

When our night was almost over we responded to a house in an up and coming area of the city. Well-off white couple, security alarm had gone off and the Brinks people had heard screaming in the background. The house was beautiful... Martha Stewart cover easily. She was drunk, half naked and crying... her husband was dressed and had a shitty attitude. It looked like they had a party that night... food and booze everywhere. In his words "she drank too much and made an ass of herself." He didn't want her taken to my hospital, but to the private one in the county. "Her dad is the head of surgery there." Ummmm, thats where I went to nursing school. I saw her ID and the name was familiar for two reasons.

When I was in school wearing my cute white uniform a certain surgeon got pissed about something (even now I don't know what..... not my patient I was just the only person in view) and threw a chart at me. Now I would have kicked his ass or pressed charges, but as a 19 year old student nurse I just went and hid. Well, this surgeons daughter and dick head son-in-law have had issues before. She showed up at the hospital drunk and combative... he was at home with the 1 year old and CPS (child protective services) was called. The good doc and his wife showed up to collect their adult daughter. He was unhappy that she was tied down with a catheter.... (it happens to all the drunks). Swore that he would never do surgery at my hospital again. Oh well.... we don't need you.

So, he threw a chart at me, and I get to see his family's dirty laundry on more than one occasion. Oh, and my new favorite.... the last patient that hit me DIED..... do you feel like taking your chances???

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work for a child protection service agency... and we are involved in the lives of the rich, high society people who are so busy trying to show everyone how important they are they end up neglecting their children. So much for having a good name... Many reputations have been "Stained". WTF... i can't stand people like that.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Joann said...

As I drive my taxi through the high-rent district, and begin to feel envious, I remind myself that money does not always equal happy.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Can't stand people who think they are all that and really are not. That doctor should have been repremanded for his behaviour towards you. So disrespectful.

Shame on him....

Hope you enjoyed your ride along....

Cheers

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chant to myself that someday they will be under my care... :P~

Then we see who feels like throwing charts.

Ya know the difference between God and a doctor?

God doesnt think HE'S a doctor.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home