Monday, November 12, 2007

Countdown

Stick a fork in me, I'm done. It is SOOOO hard going in to the ICU. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and its getting closer. So the motivation factor is going to be a problem over the next 3 weeks. I would LOVE to take all that PTO that I'm going to lose and just call in for a couple of days. I am still waiting for the details on salary and when I leave for Phoenix. My nurse manager in the ICU took my resignation very well and even offered to let me stay hourly. I have not seen Lurch yet, but am going to try not to rub it in.... this is going to be a hard pill for him to swallow.

My current patient had a tree fall on him and had a fracture of one of his thoracic vertebrae (think upper back, just below the neck). The problem is fixing it is that the doctors have to do a frontal and rear approach to fuse this thing. How do you get to the front of the spine when its that high up???? Why do a thorocotomy of course!

This poor guy had a (controlled) thorocotomy and then a spinal fusion. OUCH! After the blood reaccumulated he had to go back to surgery to have a VATS procedure. He is completely awake while intubated, has to lay flat the whole time and is scared shitless.

8 more shifts..... I REALLY don't wanna go to work!

4 Comments:

Blogger Paradise Driver said...

Its called "short-timer" sundrome.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Paradise Driver said...

oops...
Syndrome

9:11 PM  
Blogger PJ Geraghty said...

Also known as FIGMO status, FIGMO standing for "[screw] it, got my orders."

When you come out to sunny Phoenix, drop an email and I'll buy you a drink. We can tell [your hospital name here] stories since I spent so much time there on that unit. Tell MA (assuming she's still the nurse manager) I said hello.

5:03 PM  
Blogger NocturnalRN said...

It's sort of like spring fever. huh?

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home