Monday, July 17, 2006

Rude

People treat medical personnel pretty badly. To get yelled at, cursed, hit, kicked, spit on and (in some cases) chased is not uncommon. Fortunately, I run pretty fast. What bothers me is the attitudes that patients and family members throw at us without even thinking. They are pissed because they have to wait to get seen, but as soon as they get in the back, they want to know when they get to leave. If they don't get what they want (tests, narcs to take home, admitted, not admitted) then they act like assholes. The trick is to stay professional, but not to take any shit. I only get nasty when I really have to. Yes, I have been snippy, but there are certain populations that I don't take shit from and don't kiss ass for. Drunks and folks under arrest are the top 2.

For the most park I try to be nice. I have found that you get farther with people that way. In my day to day life I really only get pissed when people drive like they have their ass on their shoulders.

Soooo..... Saturday morning the cop and I got up early to have breakfast and go to Kroger. Armed with my list and determined not to spend too much we grabbed a front row spot and entered the empty store. After a bit too long in the wine aisle we moved on. There was a middle aged woman who was keeping pace with us. Unfortunately, she was a bit ahead of us and parked her cart in the middle of the aisle as we shopped. We didn't make it very far. The cop was farther along than I, and I was looking at something dumb.... when this woman approached me. She said (in her very prim voice) "I just wanted to tell you, you didn't have to be so rude."


HUH?!?!?!? I know I said 'I don't know what you are talking about' but the cop said I didn't get much out after that. I stood there with a stunned look on my face unable to say anything. The cop, fortunately, wasn't blessed my tied tongue and asked this bitch what her problem was. She was very aggressive and in my face, until he started giving her hell back. Then she backed down. We never did figure out what I did that was so rude.... she left the store shortly after.

I just wanted to kick her ass!!! I deal with this shit all the time at work, but I am living my life keeping to myself and this (I didn't use the 'C' word, but the cop did) as the audacity to say that to me? What the fuck? I'm not going to dwell, but I guess I still don't get it.

So the inside joke is "Am I just being rude?"

Have spent the night playing on the computer planning the honeymoon. Trying to decide between a cruise, one of the Sandals resorts or something else. Budget is around $5-6000. Any suggestions???

I have my mom's dog with me for the (long) weekend. He's the oldest cocker spaniel I have ever seen. It's like babysitting a little old, neurotic man. He keeps scratching his butt on my sofa and howls when I leave the room. I just hope he doesn't die before mom gets home!

Whatever you do.... DON'T BE RUDE!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Paradise Driver said...

"...DON'T BE RUDE!"

I often wonder why being direct and honest is considered as rudeness.

People don't want to hear the truth and when they do, they feel they have been insulted.

Go figure.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home