Thursday, October 26, 2006

Still Here

I know, have been gone for a while. It was much easier to keep up with this blog in the living room where it was sufficiently either cool or warm. Being that we have had our first freeze warning it is fucking COLD back here in the spare room/office. I can't come in here without a sweatshirt and blanket... plus the chair is hard and hurts my ass!

I had drama in the ER this past weekend. Not the typical kind though. I've been pissed that since I went to the ICU haven't had much time in trauma. So Saturday I showed up early and asked the CC (aka Greencard) to put me in there. Her response... "you don't really work here anymore so you will have to ask ..... (insert the name of both manic and scary nurse who is new to the dept). Well, I did.... her response... "would you be mad is I said no?"

OK, look here chick. I have been here for 5 years, have more seniority, more certifications and experience in both hospital and EMS trauma, I haven't been in the room for over a month and I have a student with me tonight. God I wanted to deck her..... but in a more mature moment I held both my temper and rash of four letter expletives, including the one that I just don't say, and let it go. She had her ass handed to her that night and could possible be written up for allowing a tubed, sedated patient to sit without any type of monitor for almost an hour. (plus the sedative dose was more than twice the recommended rate)

That morning I went to the funky diner downtown with the cop and a few of his buddies and toasted her glorious failure the night before. (the beauty of this diner in two phrases... opens early for cops/nurses, and early liquor license) I conviently caught a cold that morning and didn't make it to work that night. Oh well.

I also took care of the meanest man in America in the ICU last week. He is 75 years old and looked perfectly harmless when he was asleep. The daughter says he prides himself as being the meanest guy in the nursing home. When I tried to talk to him he preceded to try and hit me (reminded him that the last one died!) and began insulting me deceased grandmother. "She is rotting in hell just the way that you are going to. " I stayed very nice and pleasant.... and he was just a mean little son of a bitch. I tried to give him grape juice with his meds and he tried to throw it at me. My last option was to have the chaplain say hi.... he made some comment about Jesus, the fact that he was restrained and that Ms Nancy was trying to lynch him. Ahhh..... what an angel.

The ICU is going better. I took the sickest patient last night (amidst protest from my former preceptor) and had no problems whatsoever. I am still having problems with them screening my phone calls. If its for me they either ask who it is, or never tell me someone is on the phone. K called twice the other night and was put on terminal hold each time. Not sure how to handle this.

Last but not least, I did have a break in professional behavior last week. A drunk was going off about the docs and how they weren't seeing him fast enough....etc etc etc. So I told him that he could get his shit and get the hell out. He wasn't the sickest person here and we had no intentions of kissing his ass to make him stay. He stayed.


More on the battle with Greencard later. I may start another Revolutionary War. Hmmm... how can you get a greencard revolked????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home