Monday, February 11, 2008

OR

So I am almost(!) off of flight orientation. All of my ride-along time is complete. I am just waiting to finish some clinicals, have a pow-wow with our medical director and thats it. Unfortunately, one of the clinicals I have to do is in the operating room. When we fly we can chemically knock someone out (either medically necessary or the asshole tube. Assholes don't fly!) and intubate them. So we go to the OR to practice intubations. What I am learning is that the nurse anesthesistists do everything and the anestesiologists "supervise." Also, OR nurses are for the majority, BITCHES! I have never been treated like I was by some of those nurses. The physicians, surgeons and even CRNA's treated me with respect understanding what I actually do.

With few exceptions, the circulating nurses were assholes. They thought I was a student and I was told "get out of my way" "what are you doing here?" and while a neuro patient was crumping...."I sure as hell don't need a student in there." The sad part is that I was treated at par or better than some of my other flight counterparts. The guys, as a general rule, get fawned over wherever they go. They have been offered jobs, given special treatment and asked to come back. Ah, such is the curse of the murse. (murse=male nurse) One of the guys went to the same OR I went to the day befre and got 7 tubes in the first hour and got to go home. I got one in 4 hours and was told there were no more intubations to be had. Grrrrrr........So until I get 6 total sucessful intubations, I have to go back. Which is why I'm up at the ass crack waiting to leave for the OR again.

Once I get me 6 tubes, I don't have to go back to the OR unless I don't tube someone every 6 months. You can bet your ass I'll be getting my tubes!

My last day flying was finally a good one. 4 flights in 24 hours. We had a kid that fell through a screen on a second story window. He was about 3 and had a broken wrist. Lucky boy. We flew a very nice guy with a second incident of AAA that was dissecting. He was more worried about being able to pay for the flight. Crazy as shit took a bunch of pills and ran her car into a guardrail on purpose and finally a poor soul with a medical condition that he was unable to manage at home. It was so bad that he jumped off a highway overpass onto a street below. He survived (no cars below since it was 6am) but was pretty broken up. I am interested to see what moving to my permanent base will bring. I hope I'm not bored as shit.


**** I can't get spell check to work and I have to get going, will fix the type-os later!*****

3 Comments:

Blogger PJ Geraghty said...

I spend a lot of time in ORs and I feel your pain. They are an unusual (and often painful) bunch. The ones who are nice tend to be really nice, but the rest of them give OR nurses the reputation they have.

What's the difference between an OR nurse and an angry Rottweiler? The lipstick.

Another well-used line: "You have the perfect face for an OR nurse." (i.e., one that should be covered by a mask as much as possible.)

To all the OR nurses reading this who recognize my name: I don't mean you. I mean other OR nurses. You, I love.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Paradise Driver said...

Having spent a significant portion of my life (relative to most people) in the confines of a hospital, I know that it isn't the doctors who keep you alive, its the nurses.

And whomever the poster is prior to me, those are some great one-liners! :)

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck, you can practice on me to get out of that H*ll hole! We not only eat our young, we eat each other, too! Best of luck to you!

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home