Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Cool As Shit

The above is a reference to my mom who is also a nurse. She specializes in psych home care and loves it. Ummm... I think I'll stay in the hospital for now, thanks. Whenever I get an interesting case, trauma, medical or just a cool situation I always tell her about it.

I was in green again last night. The thing about green is that you can get some genuinely sick peeps back there. I got a young guy (about my age) as a transfer from another hospital. His family had found him down at his house. This guy had a history of spina bifida and was wheelchair bound. When I got him he was doing very little neurologically. As Dr T said, "this is as close to death as you can get." Dr T did an emergent tap of one of the pt's VP shunts (I got to help) and damn if he didn't wake up! OK, he wasn't completely awake like you or I, but eyes open, following commands and responding to his family. As I waited for either a ready bed, or a call from the OR (the tap is a temporary fix... the shunt has to be revised) his family started telling me about him. This person would be disabled for all intents and purposes and nobody would question that. However, he was a college student, volunteers at the veterans hospital working with head injured soldiers, has a job, owns a house and truck and lives on his own. What a person! I told my cop, there are turds on the street who have full use of all limbs, that choose to be on welfare, popping out kids they can't afford, or selling drugs on the corner. This patient was truly of value to society.

Well, he went downhill again and had to have the other side of his head tapped. Talk about a pucker moment. Fortunately, he went emergently to the OR and last I heard, was doing pretty well.

We had a nurse extern start this morning. They work shadowing a nurse during the summer to get a feel for what "real" nursing is like. I did one in the pedes ER years ago. Well, girlie girl was having a morning. She showed up with her hair in some ratty looking ball on her head, was barely awake, and had the armband from a local bar still on her arm. I'm sorry, but I find that very disrespectful to me, my co-workers, our patients and profession in general. I'm sorry, but that just pisses me off. You know what else pisses me off? The fact that everyone and their mama can claim to be a nurse. The RN's and LPN's of the world don't get enough respect already, without every piece of trash in the street claiming to be a nurse. "I do private duty." Thats what they all say.... showing up in their WalMart scrubs that they probably wear everywhere (including to bed). *I wear the hospital issued scrubs all the time and trust me, there is no way in hell I would wear them to bed. Gross!*

OK, OK, I'm tired, can you tell. Off for tonight... Hump Day Happy Hour at one of the nurses houses. Back tomorrow and then off for 5 days for the Buffett concert in Charlotte!!! Whoo-hooo!!! I can taste the Margaritas now!

Don't shave your ass hair. Just don't do it.

3 Comments:

Blogger shayla said...

You deal with the dregs of society all shift long & then stumble upon a guy like that, the epitiome of why you got into nursing in the first place. Wonderful, isn't it?

I'm going to regret this question...
"Don't shave your ass hair. Just don't do it."
Just what prompted that statement???

I'm too curious for my own good.

shayla

11:35 AM  
Blogger jeepgirl said...

The ass hair comment orginated with a patient who shaved that area many times and wound up with a HUGE peri-rectal abcess.I helped drain it. The smell...ugh. So JUST DON'T DO IT!!!

11:49 PM  
Blogger shayla said...

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind. It's long since been my belief that humans (as a whole) are very stupid animals.

Abscesses, boils..Things to be Avoided At All Costs (i've helped w/one before).

Though nothing tops a diabetic with an infected 4th stage decubitus ulcer. I still have bad memories about *that* dressing change. & i was just *assisting*.

Love your blog, read it daily. That e-mail invite's still open if you so choose.

shayla

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home