Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Good Docs

I was off last night. Thank GOD! I got home and seriously slept for 15 hours. The job really sucks it out of me some nights. I'm glad I was off though. We had a police officer get killed last night. His partner was flown to the ER, and the suspect was dead. Hard to know what to think about this. Part of me is happy that the guy is dead, but as another officers wife said.... It would be nice to just rewind the whole incident. Not sure if this was someone I knew from the ER, am still waiting for the picture to be released. I didn't recognize the name though.

So I realize that I talk a lot about Dr Rock and Dr Tox... whom I don't think highly of. There are so many docs that I work with that are SO great. Dr T, one of the neurosurgeons... is one of the most caring and empathetic people I have met. (I have found this is true about almost all neurosurgeons). Dr B is one of the biggest nursing advocates I have ever met. He is a bit of a trouble maker though. I think thats why we get along so well. One night he tied a noose around his neck on trauma bed 1 and pretended to hang himself. Then he told me to get the interns and tell them there was a code in the trauma room!! I still have pictures of that somewhere! Dr Dave and I would play on the roof as we waited for the helicopter to come in.

All of these folks are a lot of fun to work with, but I have a lot of faith in them as practitioners as well. They give me confidence about the care we provide (unlike some others) Am I bitter sometimes, of course. There are nights where I want to go flip burgers. But there are also nights where I feel like a rock star. Those nights usually make all the bad ones all worth it. I could be doing a million other things right now, but there is a reason why I'm here. Plus I have great stories. Back to work tonight. We will see what comes my way!


Enemas don't come in flavors for a reason. Don't drink 'em!

3 Comments:

Blogger shayla said...

'Enemas don't come in flavors for a reason. Don't drink 'em!'

Oh, please tell me that you didn't actually have a patient that *drank* their enema!!! That's almost as bad as complaining that suppositories are too big to swallow!!!

shayla

3:01 PM  
Blogger jeepgirl said...

yes, I had an old guy try to drink an enema once. He actually told me that he really shouldn't have it because he is diabetic and is not supposed to have chocolate. (it was a Milk and Molassas enema!)

11:06 AM  
Blogger shayla said...

OK, once again, my theory is proved. Humans, to a great extent, are herd animals. Hurricane Rita showed me that last year.

Love your blog, btw. Congratulations, you've acquired your first regular reader.

shayla

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home