Why I Hate Nursing Homes
Was in medical last night. We sometimes call medical Green. The jokes about Green and long and distinguished. Its fairly common to hear it referred to as 'Walking the Green Mile'. The smells from Green are NOTORIOUS. I think its a combo of feet, funk, poo, urine and a side of vomit. GROSS! You've gotta love it!
We got a patient last night from a nursing home. She is 74 years old, a diabetic and recently put in a nursing home. Apparently, she was getting her PO diabetic meds, and all of her insulin WITHOUT having her sugar checked. Hey guess what?? She was found unconscious with a sugar of 29! She was also uncovered and had a temp of 92.0 F. That is criminal!!!The EMS peeps gave D50 and warmed her up. The nursing home didn't even know her last name. When she woke and was more with it she said that "Nobody should treat older folks this way. They all have this coming."
These homes claim to take excellent care of our loved ones. But they are left in urine and feces so long we have trouble cleaning it off. They are allowed to waste away with hardly a look... much less a turn every 2 hours or a bath everyday. These places are EXPENSIVE! The shitholes will cost you an arm and a leg and they are the nice ones! Those poor people deserve so much better.
OK, so to counter my bummed out mood may I present....
THE TOP 10 REASONS I WORK AT (UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER) EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT:
10. The respectful and courteous patients that are always thankful for the high quality of care they received.
8. Betting on ETOH levels.
7. Being able to stroll into the Trauma room and say to the patient "That looks like it hurts."
6. Plenty of state of the art equipment available.
5. Hospital administration views diversion as a sign of weakness.
4. The ICU intern telling the ED attending "I think that patient will do just fine on the floor."
3. Being able to drop the F-Bomb at will.
2. Sexual harassment as a job requirement.
1 The staff is crazier than the patients and almost as dangerous!
By Dr B.
Don't stick stuff in your ear. No pens, pencils, small furry animals, lottery tickets or after dinner snacks. Just don't do it!